Monday, December 17, 2007

Oh Holy Night

At first glance it will seem that this post is about Collin Raye, a singer who ranks in my top 10 right along with John Denver, the Carpenters, Dan Fogelberg, Barry Manilow, Josh Groban, Paul Simon, Julie Andrews, Mika, Olivia Newton John, James Taylor, Secret Garden, and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. (Yes, that is more than ten.) It might seem that I am obsessed with him but I'm not. He does have an incredible voice and he sings beautiful songs. I like country music but even if I didn't I believe that Collin Raye transcends the genre. He is just a gifted performer and I thing that he is universally appealing. That being said let me move on to the main point of this post which actually took place last December.

My daughter, Samantha, attends college at Southern Utah University in Cedar City. I love that she goes to school there. I think that it is a great school. She gets to have the living-away-from-home experience but she is close enough that we can have her home for holidays and special events (unless she opts to go home with one of her roommates instead.) She started attending there last August. She is in the orchestra. In about October of last year she called to tell me that Collin Raye was going to do a concert there and that the orchestra would get to play backup for a couple of his songs.

Oh. My. Gosh.

I immediately called my brother who I thought loved Collin Raye as much as I do (it turns out that he doesn't) and started talking up the roadtrip that we would take. That didn't work out. I appealed to my husband for what I assured him would be the trip of a lifetime but to no avail. As the day of the concert approached and I had no takers for a fabulous, fun-filled roadtrip with me to see Collin Raye and Samantha in concert I truly tried to convince myself that it would be okay to miss it. I decided that it was much more mature to sit this one out. It wasn't economical to make the trip not to mention the time away blah, blah, blah.....The day of the concert dawned clear and sunny. A perfect day for a drive. About noon I just knew that if I missed that concert I would regret it for the rest of my life. Really. No, REALLY. So, I convinced my mom to let me use her car (much cheaper on gas than our suburban) made sure all of my other children were situated, told my husband that I absolutely HAD to go to this concert (which was not a surprise to him) and headed for Cedar City. I got there shortly before the concert started. What a great night. The concert was absolutely fantabulous. This is the prettiest version of Oh Holy Night you will ever hear. It will probably be the worst sound quality you've ever heard and the visual quality isn't too great either but I am not the technical one in the family so I just did the best that I could. Don't get freaked out by the fact that this is an 8 minute movie because you don't need to watch the whole thing. I have taken the time to point out the highlights (the you-can't-miss-this-part sections, so to speak.)

1:00-"Sweet hymns of joy" This was Samantha's favorite part because the strings are playing this absolutely, incredible, harmony part. I know that their is a musical term for it and I am going to ask my friend Leslie, the violist (at the library) what it is . I could listen to this part over and over. Oh yeah, I already have.
2:05-The piano guy just goes nuts. He is amazing and I think that he was truly having a wonderful time.
2:40-2:54 Collin Raye proves that he can still sing. 3:30- Collin Raye acknowledges the SUU symphony orchestra (That's my girl!) 3:45 The stage lights come up and you can sort of see the orchestra director, drummer and the pianist better. Samantha is not visible at any point. Even if I had had a better camera she was almost behind the conducter.

At this point you have seen the most important part but if you are still interested he sings "Love Me" as an encore. Another great song although not one of my absolute favorites. I do need to point out here that the orchestra played back up on almost every single song. They were amazing. Samantha tends to either understate or overstate things so it is very important to pin her down on what she really means (i.e. "I failed my Spanish test" translates into "I got a B" when you pin her down.)

After the concert I was able to purchase T-shirts, which I hadn't ever done at a concert before. (I bought shoelaces at the Barry Manilow concert I attended in 1983 and drinks or something at the Dan Fogleberg concert in 1985ish and that is the extent of my concert going except when I worked custodial at BYU and heard parts of the Billy Joel concert in between cleaning the bathrooms.) Then I had the chance to visit with Samantha for a little while before I headed for home; just me and Collin Raye singing at the top of our lungs all the way home. I was hoarse the next day.

Now, you may think that that was the main point of this blog post but it wasn't. The main point is that I trusted my instincts when I went to that concert and I am glad that I did. To quote the words of a Collin Raye song:

If I were you I'd promise to live life for all it's worth. Take all that you've been given and leave your mark upon this earth. Trust your heart to show you everything you'll ever need.

I'm working on it.




11 comments:

Grant Skousen said...

Well these last two posts let me know where I stand in the family. Gerry is in both posts. Sarah gets a reference. But not a thing for you old, older Bro....

Glad you had a great trip.

Dona said...

Dear, Dear, Stablizing-Force-In-My-Universe-brother Grant,
I have been soooo negligent. The Dan Fogelberg concert that I mentioned in this post. It was all Grant. In fact atleast one quarter to a half of my musical taste (Fogelberg, Taylor, Carpenters, Fresh Aire, Manneheim Steamroller....) all Grant. Stereo with CD player and awesome sound quality, all Grant. Otherwise I would still be listening to the high end early eighties clockradio/cassette tape player that was the source of my music listening pleasure until Grant gifted me the above mentioned stereo.(Ironically the clock radio was also, all Grant.)
My good brother Grant, so appropriately named, has granted me so much in my life most importantly an awesome example of how I should be living mine. You, too are a prince among men.

Grant Skousen said...

I was just hoping for a mention - you went way overboard. I hope only family reads this....

Dona said...

I didn't go overboard. It is all true!
I don't even think that very much of the family reads my blog so no worries. My friend Lauren the librarian reads it sometimes. It'll probably just be me you, Nicole, Mom, Lauren, Michelle and maybe Jen Grigg and Sarah that read it. Oh and Dad if he remembers how to find it.
Dona
P.S. Sorry about Dan Fogelberg. I always think of you when I think of him.

Nicole said...

ONLY 8 MINUTES? Seriously, couldn't you take MORE video?! I couldn't get enough! I LOVED, and I repeat, LOVED watching that. I too am an avid Collin Raye fan, along with Dan Fogelberg. I bet that concert was amazing, I wish I could have been there! I would love to see him live. That is so cool that Sam got the experience to play with him! WOW. OH MY DRAKE. That is just so cool. there are no other words.

Anonymous said...

so nice that you're posting again. you should have asked me. i'm glad you did something so fun and carefree. we don't do much of that. enjoyed the clip.

danielle

sherri said...

This was so fun! What a great way for me to catch up with your family. Who needs Christmas cards! (Call me next time, and I'll meet you in Cedar City!) I actually experienced some of the same emotions at an Amy Grant Christmas concert (complete with symphony). Amazing how much my Top 10 list looks like yours!

Anonymous said...

Um, hel-looo? I didn't even get a call and I LOVE road trips. Hmph!

Well. I'm glad you had as much fun as you could. Without me.

Anonymous said...

oh, and PS:
http://kimberloohoo.blogspot.com/

skousenmom said...

Okay, so when are sister in laws not invited?! Totally would have love to go--so keep my in mind next time! Anyway, loved the video. I am glad Sam is getting to have some great experiences at school. Good for her for seeking out way to have them. Being in the school orchestra probably takes a lot of extra time, but it sounds like it really pays off. Well, here's to the next time you need a road trip buddy--call me NOT your brother! Michelle

adrienne said...

James Taylor is my all-time #1 favorite. Hence the reason my oldest son is named Taylor!