August 27th, 2007 was my oldest brother's birthday. It was also my birthday. We had a family birthday party the night before which I was unable to attend due to what turned out to be a very unpleasant strain of some intestinal thing. (Let's just say I stayed close to home for several days.) Even though I was unable to celebrate with Grant on his birthday I want to pay tribute to Grant in this belated blog.
Five Things I Admire about Grant
1. He is quiet. This is a great quality that I wish I had in some small measure. I am convinced that he and I never had a conversation before I turned 14. It is not out of the realm of possibility because he really does not talk much. Yet, I have found that he generally speaks when something really needs to be said. He also generally says what needs to be said in a straight forward way but is not unkind.
2. He loves nature. Grant appreciates where he lives. So many people don't really pay attention to what is around them. Grant notices nature. He spends time in the mountains and outdoors around his home.
3. He has the soul of an artist. He loves beauty. He sees it in people, and nature, and music. He expresses it through his photographs. I love to see the pictures that he takes.
4. He has empathy for others. He was actually unable to sit through an episode of "I Dream of Jeannie" or "Gilligan's Island" or any other show where someone might embarrass themselves. He would have to get up and leave the room. He was always great at listening to me, especially during my first couple of years of college.
5. He is constant. Grant doesn't get swept away by situations or emotions. He lives life and enjoys it but he doesn't get distracted. He has always been a great brother and a good example for me.