Friday, October 19, 2007

Fiddlin'


For the past several years Samantha, Johnathon, and Amanda have been involved in a fiddle group with the High School. Last year the group really spent a lot of time playing together at a lot of venues outside of the high school. After Johnathon graduated in May we thought that his participation in the fiddle group would end but they played several times during the summer and then Mr. Tsugawa the orchestra teacher who started the fiddle group asked Johnathon and Spencer to return to play in one more concert with the group. So I recorded this Wednesday night. Johnathon has a mandolin solo. Amanda is playing the electric bass. Sorry it isn't a better recording but the solo comes through pretty well and if you listen for the bass you can hear it too. I love this group. They are fantastic.

This is the mandolin that was Johnathon's great Granddaddy Baxter's. It has been so cool to watch him learn to play it. I have been so amazed by his abilities and by how much he enjoys it. He has also taught himself how to play the guitar and the penny whistle. His ultimate goal is to learn to play the bagpipes.


Okay, I decided I needed to add one more song. This is from a performance this summer at the Springville Art Museum. In this one, Back up and Push, they sing and Amanda Lynn plays the Mandolin along with Johnathon. Amanda is on the far left and she has an incredible voice. I am her mother and very biased but she really does have an incredible voice. Enjoy!


I wish I had a good video from the year that all three of my big kids were in this group together. I'm on the look out for one.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ARE the best!

Anonymous said...

Aaaah! That is so sweet! Love the music and am happy to know your family over the years. It's a neat thing to see your friends' families grow up.

Danielle

Anonymous said...

WOW! I love musicals and now I can access this musical blog with two of my grandchildren making the music ---It's the best yet - except when Samantha and Brandon were playing too!
I bet Mildred is tickled to hear & see this folk group.

SCSC

Nicole said...

LOVE the videos! Are any of these the Wellies one you were talking about? well I think this is fantastic!!!!

sarah said...

These videos are GREAT! I clearly have been missing out on way to much. I'm dying to see a live performance. Really, I loved getting to watch John and Amanda play and sing. Please find more like it and post post post. love ya!

Nicole said...

Do you realize how dangerously close you are to the month mark of no blog?

We seriously need an update.

I seriously need an update.

And fast, or I might loose my bleedin' mind! Come on, you have kept me hanging for so long!

Anonymous said...

It was great fun to be there for the concert at the art museum and fun to see this latest video. Your children are truly multi-talented! (just like their mother!) Hey, at least you remembered to BRING the camera! Can't tell you how many times I've left mine at home. Thanks for sharing! Michelle

Unknown said...

WOW! Grant is showing me so many things I never knew about this computer. (I am soooo glad I helped him with his math up to and through most of the 2nd grade.
Anyway, I will now be able to find, read, and respond to the blogs I could only accidentally find before.
The music was great and I will read everything in more detail later. We are going to try to visit Myrna before he has to leave.
Jana had a little baby girl yesterday, everyone is fine. Myrna Lee now has two great grandchildren. Yesterday we visited Duck and Burt, and Grant recorded a lot of history at Uncle Jim's.

Love.
Grampa Don

Nicole said...

a month! sheesh!

ps. can we meet up online and play catan?

Katy said...

Hey! I finally got to see a fiddle concert! Thanks, Dona! Loved Jonathon on the mandolin with the hair flip, too -- gotta love that! And I love back up and push. Isn't fiddling the BEST? Mr. Tsugawa is one cool teacher to provide those opportunities for those kids. How fun! Thanks for sharing!

Lauren said...

Dona, I love you, and I know I get to see you a lot...but you need to update!!!

Lauren said...

By the way, there is a present for you in the workroom :)