Friday, February 13, 2009

DALLAS--(Road Trip part 3)

(I am not presently on a road trip. If anyone at work reads this and thinks that I am not really sick but vacationing that is not the case. This happened in June of 2008.)
I left Tecumseh, Oklahoma and kept driving South with just one thought in mind. "I can not wait to see my little sister." Well, that's a lie. Partly. I was also thinking that maybe I could just swing by Florida and see the other in-laws while I was out in the general vicinity but decided that would be pushing the bonds of sisterhood beyond reasonable limits so I focused on the last leg of the driving portion of my journey. It was absolutely a perfect trip. I LOVED every moment. I LOVE to drive. I like to drive with the window down sometimes so I can stick my arm out. I like to drive with the music on and then with the music off. I like to get some good, serious thinking in while I'm driving. I love to see all of the cool places that other people live and wonder how we all end up in the spots that we end up in. I try to picture what it is really like in that town or this town because you can't really know until you live there. It was a great day. Around 3:30 I was approaching the Dallas area. Sarah guided me into Dallas over the cell phone. I was astounded. First of all it's enormous. I thought it was beautiful as well. I'm not sure what I was expecting, more brown, less green, maybe but I thought it was really pretty and exciting. As I got closer to the center of the city I talked to Sarah again and she gave me great directions to her house. I am not very good at remembering to take pictures of important things like Dallas and all of the cool places that Sarah and I went together but I did remember to take a few of the inside of her home.
This is the guest room/den where I stayed the night I was there. Very nice. I highly recommend the Tippetts hospitality and their decorator is to die for.


This table was our Uncle Jerry's. He bought it for his house in Mexico. Then it was moved to his house in Arizona. Then my Dad's house in Gilbert. Then to Sarah's house in Texas where it looks like it was meant to be. Perfecto
My cute niece Deli who is incapable of movement that does not incorporate modern dance steps is here showing me the hall and lunging simultaneously. (Very nice Adelle.)

And here again is Adelle, joined by her darling sister Tess in what might possibly be the most fantastic child's bedroom on the planet. SOO cute and the windows are so perfect. That decorator....I'm tellin' you she has done one great job in that house but especially the girl's room. It almost made me want to be a child again.


Out the girl's windows is a great view of the backyard. Which is also beautiful. The gardener is just about up to par with the decorator.

As if getting to see Sarah and the girls and where they live wasn't good enough we then drove around Dallas and she showed me some of the sights. She knows Dallas. Tom came home and we got to chat for a minute which is always exhilarating because I am always afraid I will say something really dumb around him and I usually do so it's exciting to see how far I can get into a conversation before that happens. He and the girls got to stay home and watch Star Wars while Sarah and I hit the town. We went to dinner and to see a film (The Visitor) which I quite liked. We also hit the town the next day too before she took me to the airport. We went to Half Price Books which is an enormous second hand bookstore. FANTASTIC! We drove around some more looking at houses and schools and neighborhoods. We had the most incredible sushi and she took me to Sprinkles for cupcakes. Who knew a cupcake could taste that good. Not me. She sent me home with some for the family. What a trip. What an experience. What a sister and brother-in-law for giving me the chance. Seriously it more than made up for all of those years of taking care of her and worrying about her and being displaced as the youngest child and only daughter to being a middle child with a sister......Way to over compensate Sister.

No comments: