Saturday, February 14, 2009

Rocky Mountain High (Road trip-part 1)

June 2008-I took a little trip through the Rocky Mountains. I listened to John Denver music which is essential to really experiencing that part of the country. I stayed the night in a nice hotel with a supremely comfortable bed in Denver. Drove around the city at night which was very cool until I got lost. So I called my Dad, who knows everything, and we talked until I found myself back in semi-familiar territory.

I was driving the Tippett's car that needed to be relocated from Springville, Utah to Dallas, Texas. They were going to pay some impersonal company to ship it out but that just seemed silly seeing as how there was a perfectly willing, capable, volunteer that would come in at or below the cost of the shipping company AND had not been out to Texas to visit said family in the 5 years that they had lived in that state. (Not to mention I totally bonded with their vehicle.)

I swung by Junction City, Kansas "on my way". (The art of "swinging by" was first introduced in the early 1960's by either Don and/or Sylvia Skousen and then perfected in 1986 by their son, Gerry when we "swung by" New York City "on our way" to Florida for Grant and Keri's wedding reception.) We lived in this little mobile home for about a year and a half while Scott was in the Army at Ft. Riley. Samantha lost her front tooth on the front porch when she was 18 months old. Good times there. I forgot how humid humidity is.
After Scott got back from Saudi Arabia we finally got into On-post Housing and what a sweet deal that was! It was rather like hitting the jackpot. We lived in this cute little 4 bedroom apartment for about a year until Scott took the early out option and we moved back to Utah. Sarah stayed with us for a little while there while she was homeschooled during the end of 8th grade (?) Wow, I hadn't ever really thought of it like that. (Mom and Sarah, you started me on the home schooling venture all those years ago. Thanks.) We also had visits from other family members and we made some good friends there. Below is a picture of our backyard which was simply fantastic. It's hard to really get a good visual on it though because all that white is humidity, I think. Clearly humidity is a big deal to this southwestern girl.
I am so glad that I got to go back to Ft. Riley and Junction City. It brought back a flood of memories. It took me a while to get my bearings straight and a lot of things had changed. It would have been nice to have more time so that I could have visited a few more places but it was already afternoon and I was way behind schedule.

No comments: