Friday, September 7, 2007

A Cry For Help


I have pretty much always been a game player. Many people have heard the story of my brother's first day of kindergarten but for those unfortunate souls who haven't I'll recap. My mom and I walked Gerry down our street in Scottsdale, Arizona to Miss Ingalls kindergarten class at Paiute Elementary School. My mother and I left Gerry and walked back home. We were going about our business when the door slammed and Gerry called out, "Dona, do you want to play a game of Parcheesi?" This incident took place when I was three or four years old. I believe that the adage "train up a child in the way that he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it" seems particularly applicable in this situation. I was trained up to be a game player. It is not my fault. I cannot help myself.
I sound like an addict. I am an addict. Through the years I have experimented with various games and have had a pattern of zeroing in on one game for a period of time until noone else can stand to play it. It is sad really. There were board games: parcheesi, clue, masterpiece, yahtzee, trouble. There were card games: Battle (or War), Fish, slap jack. My Dad was always good for a late night game of gin rummy. We used to play "Spoons". (This was my mom's favorite, which is surprising because it got pretty dangerous sometimes and she usually frowned on violence.) My brothers taught me how to play chess but this was not a game that I excelled in. I always wanted to keep my horses at all costs (who cares about the king?) Risk and Monopoly ---not so much. Then there was Scrabble. Ah Scrabble. My inlaws introduced me to Master Boggle and I was hooked on that one for years (despite that one time that Gerry beat me with the words western, westerns, westerner, westerners. I might never get over it.) I made my poor, non-game-loving husband get up at 3 o'clock in the morning when I was pregnant with our first child because I needed a Rummikub fix. There was Pictionary, Phase 10, Quiddler, Five Crowns, Rook, Cranium, and more.
I thought I had seen it all but then I was introduced to the Settlers of Catan. The obsession has bordered on madness. We have played this game for the last four years. Two years ago I played all night long while I was in labor with my last child and noone even knew I was in labor until we went to the hospital. I think that qualifies this game as a drug. It looked for a time like we might never play any other games. But as a group we have recently ventured on to "Ticket to Ride" and "Blokus". I felt hope that I could escape the addiction which had culminated in Catan but then one day recently I thought I would just check out the internet version. That was a big mistake. I am hooked.
I have recently been quite concerned and thought that I needed to address this on my blog, get some emotional support for my addiction/obsession. So I went looking for an illustration for this post I checked ''flickr " hoping that I would find a random shot of Settlers of Catan. Guess what!? It turns out that I am not obsessed! I am A OK! Get a load of a couple of these pictures. THESE people are obsessed. And while it is true that I entertained the thought of naming my youngest child Catan the fact is, I didn't. These people, however, are crazy. So I'm good. Anyone up for a game? It doesn't even have to be Catan.















7 comments:

Nicole said...

OHHHH MYYYY. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH my goodness. This is my favorite blog post yet, and wow those pictures are great. Are you sure you didn't make those cupcakes shaped like a catan board? Because seriously, that wouldn't surprise me. The car is a far cry from sane though. The fact that someone would do that is absolutely hilarious. The recap of the story when my dad came home for a game of Parcheesi from your perspective was great. It made me laugh! and one more thing... ONLINE CATAN!!! you have GOT to give me the website for THAT!! WHOAW! Have you discovered online blokus? that is great fun. just Google it... :) ha ha ha. When I get home we are all sitting down to a good ol' fashioned game of catan, followed by ticket to ride and blokus. maybe a lil phase 10 for old times sake.

sarah said...

It is always nice to find out you are not alone in your crazyiness. I wish I would of thought of the catan cupcake thing for your b-day. Great post sister :-)

Nicole said...

I just wanted to say that I have joined the world of online catan. And it says you can play with your msn messenger contacts which means...I think we need to get our game on soon :)

Anonymous said...

Aw, man, you can NOT start an online game! Then I would want to join, and then that's all I would do, and then my children would be neglected and hungry and dirty... oh, wait, they are already that. Nevermind. Game on!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmm cupcakes...........let's play!

Shannon said...

At the time of the "labor day" game of Catan, I seriously thought you should name your baby "Catan" (I have a rather immature sense of humor). In hind-sight I am glad you did not, because frankly I am a little tired of the game and would not want your sweet little guy associated with a game that has seen a better day (my perspective, of course).

Robin said...

So has Scott forgiven me yet for introducing you to Catan?

You know, I don't get to play much anymore. I could play a game somtime . . .