Friday, February 12, 2010

Hospitality

Autumn and I are in St. George for a soccer tournament. We had made our reservations a month in advance based on the 3 star rating the Economy Lodge was given on its website, the list of amenities, and the good price. When we arrived and checked in I felt a little uncomfortable. I should have listened to my insticts but I was hoping to get Autumn a good nights sleep so I went ahead and paid for my planned 3 days. As the receipt was handed back to me the woman said there are no refunds. I said, "You mean, if I decide to check out a day early you will still charge me?" This was after they had run my card. "Yes." I moved our car and we started to unpack. The smell of smoke was pervasive even in the non-smoking section of the motel. Within 3 minutes of being in the room I told Autumn to put her stuff back in the car. The room was not clean and I did not feel safe. I returned to the office and told them that I would not stay there and I wanted my money back. They refused to reimburse me. It was so bad that I would rather lose the money than stay there.
I checked at a couple of other motels and they were all full. One person said that everything was booked in St. George but Hurricane might have something. The other hotel worker said I would have to go to Cedar City. Poor Autumn. What a nightmare.

So at 10:30 p.m. I called my cousin, Susan. Not only did she cheerfully answer her phone at such a ridiculous hour, she insisted that we come and stay at her house. When we arrived, looking forlorn I fear, she welcomed us in. She fed us hot soup and homemade gingersnaps. Two of her charming daughters kindly gave up their bedroom for us. Autumn is sleeping comfortably and I am feeling deeply grateful and humbled by the goodness of family, specifically Susan tonight. (I am also thankful to her husband, Bruce.) I have witnessed and felt true hospitality.

1 comment:

Kazzy said...

Sorry you guys had a rough start, but you have to follow those feelings. I hope the soccer goes well for her. You doing mobile posting?