Thursday, February 18, 2010

Guest Blogger: Elder Skousen about Older Elder Skousen


My nephew is on a mission in Argentina. My sister-in-law forwards his weekly emails. This one was especially cool.

So we had a visitor this conference. It was the doctor for the entire area of sur america, sur. His name is Doctor Peterson. He is a really nice old guy. He and his wife have been mission president and wife in mexico. They have also served as doctor. They are about to finish their 9th year as missionaries. Anyways, so I walk into the church. Dr. Peterson greets me with a hug and looks at my name tag. He says, "Elder Skousen, you wouldn't happen to have a relative...." pause there. I thought for sure he was going to ask about cleon.* To my surprise, he didnt. He continued, "Elder Skousen, you wouldnt happen to have a relative that served a mission in southern Uruguay about 55 years ago would you?"My jaw dropped! I was like, "grandpa?" No way! So we talked a little bit about his mission and all that jazz. I asked him if he was comps with grandpa or anything like that. He said no, he only knew him a little bit from the mission. Then he told me something that I've been thinking about all week. He said, "What I remember is that Elder Skousen was always smiling. He was always fun to be around, was always happy, and made everyone around him feel the same way."

That is pretty cool. It's a teeny tiny world we live in.

*Growing up as a Skousen one does get the "are you related to Cleon?" question pretty regularly.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

haha! I love that you put this on here. I was really surprised when I read this as well--even better that he actually sent us a picture!

And yeah, that "cleon" question gets old after about a million times.

Kazzy said...

It is always so cool to find those random connections, huh? I get forwarded emails from my nephew on a mission too. I love him like a son, so I look forward to them tremendously.

Anonymous said...

Hi, strattera pills - strattera online pharmacy http://www.ranqichina.net/, [url=http://www.ranqichina.net/]strattera cost[/url]