Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Hobbes/Amanda


I have noticed that in the blogging world people often use code names for those that they blog about. I get the feeling that is the cool thing to do. I am coming to the party a little late and so I'm just figuring this out as I go. Hence, up until now, no nicknames. However, this summer my #3 of the supposed "crazy eight" had the opportunity to be a genuine girl scout counselor. (Two summers ago child #1 had a similar opportunity at a different location.) As part of the protocol the counselors and the girls that attend the camp choose nicknames whereby they become known as for the duration of the camp. Selecting a nickname was an arduous task but Amanda finally settled on Hobbes. It really did/does suit her.
I loved this job for her. And selfishly for me too. I was able to drive her up to the very beautiful Park City area several times over the course of the summer. I tried to make it appear to be a big sacrifice for me but it wasn't. I LOVE to drive and I really loved that drive. It was beautiful there.
Amanda, I mean Hobbes, is a funny girl. She is amazing but doesn't know it. I can't convince her of her amazingness. She does so many things so well. She is an artist, a cellist, a thinker, a reader, an outdoor enthusiast, and so much more. She is very sensible and grounded. She tells great stories. She had many exciting adventures last summer involving cliffs, emotional breakdowns (none of which were hers), moose (or is that moosen), water, girl scout politics, skits, kitchen duty, jaunts to Park City, obsessed twilight fans, hiking, etc. She met some very cool people and learned some valuable lessons. Camp Cloud Rim was a good place for Hobbes to be in the summer of 2009. I wonder where she'll be in 2010.

3 comments:

Robin said...

I agree. She is an amazing and beautiful young woman! Those girls were very lucky to have her and I am sure her touch will remain with them.

You are truly blessed.

Dona said...

Thanks Robin!

Kazzy said...

I like that Hobbes. She is so funny and interesting!