Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Johnathon's email came today instead of yesterday. Samantha emailed him about her engagement. This was his response:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGG
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGG
I made that noise in the library just now when I read Sam's email. I also grabbed my companion and started shaking him. Alot....ALOT


AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHGg.
I'm so excited I can barely type. I like my new area/comp. I was in zone conference yesterday so thats why I didn't email. AAAHHHH!!!! I honestly don't know what to do with myself right now.
bye

Since I was sitting at my computer when his email came through I quickly fired off a reply:

It looks like they will get married on July 10th in Manti. Very exciting. I am assuming your response was a happy one.
Love,
Mom

To which he wrote:

When did he propose? How? Drinks All Around!! Mazeltoff!! The response is happy. I need MAIL!!! Tell her Happy Birthday. AAHHHHHHGGGGGGG!!!

I recognize that I have been doing a LOT of blogging about Samantha lately. It has been an exceptionally eventful week in the life of said child. For example, today is her birthday. She is not here because she is in St. Louis, Missouri at some sort of English or Honors or something-of-that-nature-conference, presenting some poetry that she wrote last year. She was here three days ago so we had family and friends over to celebrate the big day in advance. It was just serendipity that it turned out to be an engagement party as well.

In case you are thinking that that is the goofiest looking cake you've ever seen let me tell you that it is not a cake. Samantha is not a big fan of cake so several years ago we started fixing pink green lemonade pie instead and the tradition seems to have stuck. It was a pretty yummy pie. (There were 5 of them. They are all gone.)

It was a great evening filled with great people who have been a big part of Samantha's life. Had I been thinking I would have taken a photo of the whole group but I did get a good shot of the celebratory pie.


Happy Birthday to you, Samantha. I have loved you since before they placed you in my arms with that cute little green bow pasted in your hair. You were the start of the best part of who I am, a mother. Thanks for letting me be the mom even when you were, and still are, at times, much more qualified.

4 comments:

Kazzy said...

Something special about our first-borns. Not necessarily more love, but more learned.

You are a good mom.

Robin said...

Ooh! I am jealous. I want lemonade pie -- they are so good. I'll have to make some this weekend. They go quickly at our house, too. Thanks for the recipe.

Cari doesn't like cake either. We usually do brownies for her birthday.

And while I am thrilled for Samantha, and your family, as you move into this new phase, my heart also breaks just a little for you. Sorry your baby grew up.

I love you and I love your kids.

K and D Roylance said...

Glad Johnathon's response was a happy one! It reminded me a bit of a pirate (I could see him with a patch over one eye, the protective brother looking out for his sister) It's hard to be the one away when cool stuff is going on.

The pie sounds wonderful, could we get the recipe?

Danielle said...

I love your posts. I love peeking into your life. I miss my teaching partner.