Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Johnathon Update

The latest news from child #2 :

Mom,
This week was Out OF CONTROL!!
My friend broke his engagement. I still want to come back to the mission but I don't need to be back quite so soon. I found out that I am getting transferred AGAIN! To Pasco. We had a baptism on Sunday and there are 3 set up for this weekend that I'm going to miss. My new comp is going to be Landon Harris who is from Springville. AAAARRGGGGG. I need Mail!
Johnathon

Let me explain. Last week he wrote and said that his friend would be getting married on June 11th in Portland, Oregon and wanted him to be a groomsman. So he was trying to figure out a way to go back after he returned from his mission on June 1st. Now he doesn't have to figure that out.

Here's the thing about my oldest son. He resists change. He is EXTREMELY flexible up to a point and then he's not. He has been highly adaptable his whole mission. It sounds like he is complaining about being transferred and about his new companion in this letter but he's not. What he is upset about is the fact that someone has moved his cheese. He thought he had the rest of his mission figured out. When I talked to him on Christmas Day he was pretty convinced that he would spend the duration of his mission in Yakima with the companion that he had. Now he has to change his mind set and that is what he is protesting. He will be fine. He will do well, as soon as he can wrap his brain around the unexpected change. It is very exciting.

I am DEFINITELY writing him a letter. A real, actual, not cyber letter. The kind that requires a stamp and employs the use of the U.S. Postal system.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Isn't it amazing how important this is right now and how little it will matter in a year's time? Observing our children figuring things out can be interesting.

I'm eager to see how many incarnations you go through before you pick a new layout to stick with for a while. I've liked all that you've tried; but I say -- keep trying until you find the one that fits you super well. Only you will know.

Jessica Grosland said...

Speaking of resisting change, it took me a few minutes to make sure that I was on the right blog. New layout?! Why is everyone updating their layouts? I can't handle it!

Jk. But I think my mom is making fun of me a little. When I start freaking out about VERY SERIOUS PROBLEMS, she tends to get this mischievous look in her eyes that says, "Just you wait until you have a REAL trial."

Mothers. They just don't understand. Or maybe they do, and that's what makes them so irritating.

Kazzy said...

When Perry was serving he sometimes was sad when he had worked so hard to help people progress, and then he would be transferred before their baptisms.

I am telling you, I think having adult kids can be harder than anything else as a mom. It has its terrific parts, but having to watch them learn from circumstances is tough for me.