Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Last semester I was in the BYU Library doing some research. I loved being there again. It amazes me that they changed it so drastically and yet it still feels like the same old Harold B. Library where I did homework as an undergraduate 20+ years ago. While I was there I wandered around a bit and came across this quote that was on a wall display. I was feeling guilty for spending so much time on my studies and away from other responsibilities. I was also feeling overwhelmed and wondering why in the world I was back in school.

"For a disciple of Jesus Christ, academic scholarship is a form of worship. It is actually another dimension of consecration. Hence, one who seeks to be a disciple-scholar will take both scholarship and discipleship seriously."
                                                                          Neal A. Maxwell

It was just what I needed right when I needed it. I put a copy of it on my bulletin
board above my desk. I seek to be a disciple-scholar so I am endeavoring to take them both more seriously. I have been doing less than quality work on some of my assignments so now I am getting back on track. I have another portion of an enormous project coming due so I am putting my nose to the grindstone. Hopefully my nose will heal up in time for the family photos we will be taking in June when Johnathon comes home. Those grindstones can be brutal.


6 comments:

Robin said...

Excellent! Documentation to back up my claims that always wanting to learn more is an admirable way to spend my time.

Won't the dishes do themselves while I read?

Jessica Grosland said...

That picture of the grindstone kind of freaks me out. Like the part in the move Christmas Story where the kid gets his tongue stuck to a pole. TRAUMA.

But good for you. Way to stick to it. I would also recommend checking out the Education In Zion exhibit in the JFSB. It's on the second floor, open from 10-5, and talks all about the gospel nature of academic study. I think you'd like it.

K and D Roylance said...

I love the picture!
I've always been amazed by those who tackle education and family and church and life and....all at the same time.
Isn't it great that there are those who think to put "Pick-me-up" stuff all around so we could find it when we need it the most?

Unknown said...

Hey! Guess who has started reading your blog! I decided I better keep an eye on what you were saying about me. :D
I loved this post. Can I just say that is exactly what I needed to hear right now too? Maybe I can get motivation to graduate now...
Anyways, love you! You are pretty much the coolest ever. Who has the coolest mom? This girl, right here.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kazzy said...

Disciple-scholar. I love that.

Good luck with your nose. I am feeling the pressure too right now. It almost gets paralyzing.