Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sisters-in-law

I love the movie Emma, both of them, the Gwenyth Paltrow version and the new Masterpiece Theater version. I have several favorite quotes which differ slightly from one version to the other. I need to read the book and see which, if either, is correct. Of course there is the classic chastening of Emma by Mr. Knightley, "Badly done, Emma. Badly done." And, "Better to have no sense at all than to misapply it as you do." Ouch. Harsh. I also really like,  "Men of sense do not want silly wives."
Pictured here are my 2 Skousen sisters-in-law.
In some ways it feels like I've always known them.
I have seen them both act silly at times but they are not silly wives.
They both manage their homes well, take good care of my nieces and nephews, look out for their neighbors, and love their husbands, my brothers.
I helped influence who their husbands were before,*
They've helped make them who they are now.
They are very good men.
We should all be proud.
Including my brothers who were sensible and did not marry silly wives.


*I could have influenced Grant more if he had talked to me before I was 14 but I did what I could.
Gerry and I had a lot of influence on each other.

1 comment:

Kazzy said...

I have 2 SILs here and 3 back east. I think it is so much fun to spend time with women who knew my husband when. They are sisters to me in every way that counts.