Friday, March 5, 2010

You're a Homeschooler When...


1. You ask for, and get, a copier for your anniversary.

It's true. I yearned for a copier for a very long time. I did not get it for an anniversary. I found our first one at a yard sale. It was so great but my children photocopied their faces, hands, toys, etc. So it died. Then Scott located another one. Very useful.

2. The principal can give the teacher a pat on the behind and its not harrassment. No explanation needed on this one.

3. Your husband can walk in at the end of a long day and tell how the science experiment went just by looking at the house. Life is basically one long science experiment, wouldn't you say? It is at our house.

4. Your neighbors think you are insane. This could very well be true but fortunately our nearest neighbors are also insane and, in fact, we sometimes take turns supervising each other's insanity.

5. You can listen to your child's favorite passage from Hank the Cowdog 47 times. This one is not peculiar to homeschoolers. I know of many long suffering public school parents that this one applies to as well. Although, not necessarily that particular book/series.

6. Your kids learn new vocabulary from their extensive collection of Calvin and Hobbes books. Talk about hitting the nail ON THE HEAD. You should see our hammered collection of Calvin and Hobbes. They love to read them while they are eating especially. There is still some bitterness over the fact that Corban is Corban not Calvin. Then there is that whole Hobbes nickname adopted by camper girl.

7. Your formal dining room now has a computer, copier, bookshelves and there are posters and maps all over the walls. I don't have a formal dining room but my front room is as described.

8. Talking outloud to yourself is a parent/teacher conference.

That one is my personal favorite and frighteningly true in my case.

9. Your favorite gift is a gift certificate to a bookstore. Well, duh. That one applies to lots of people I know. Homeschoolers do not have the market on that one.

1o. You live in a one-house schoolroom. Cleverly put.
                                                                                   Author unknown

A long time ago, 7-10 yearsish, I came across this list. I did not write it and I don't know who to credit it to. It is applicable to me and I am counting it as my homeschool post for this week. My comments are the ones in red.

3 comments:

Kazzy said...

I love this post! I can't tell you how many times G and I have thought about following in your footsteps with our youngest ones. Just through jr high. It has been one. rough. year. My youngest has not had the best year either in 6th grade. I know it could be a really cool experience to home school. I think you are awesome!

Kazzy said...

I love this post! I can't tell you how many times G and I have thought about following in your footsteps with our youngest ones. Just through jr high. It has been one. rough. year. My youngest has not had the best year either in 6th grade. I know it could be a really cool experience to home school. I think you are awesome!

Robin said...

Fun. Thanks for sharing. Yes, I have always thought you were insane. Fabulous and strong, but insane.

But I love you!