Monday, March 29, 2010

Minor Miracles

I know there are people who don't believe in miracles, but I do.

I am not sure where the line is drawn between  minor and  major miracles especially since, as far as I know, those aren't even actual terms or considerations except by me and I'm operating on very little sleep, so keep that in mind.

I do know that I had a little miracle happen today. One of my children left the Children's Friend The Friend magazine propped up behind the bathroom faucet, opened to this page.
There are several miraculous aspects to this.
First, I usually find Calvin and Hobbes, Far Side, Peanuts, or Garfield, propped up all over the house not The Friend.
Second, I don't usually notice content, I just put things away which is what I was doing when I happened to notice the title of the song.
Third, this is a simplified version of a song that the children will be singing in Sacrament Meeting in the fall. It is a beautiful song but the version I was trying to play was giving me fits, literally. I almost threw one in Primary yesterday. I had developed a mental block big enough that people were starting to point and laugh at me... it (the mental block) was visible to the naked eye and/or ear.

 "What's the miracle?" You ask. (If you were in primary yesterday you don't.)
The miracle is that someone was inspired to write a simplified version of this song so that I could love it again, overcome my mental block, and hopefully enable me to help create a more pleasant experience for all of the 3-12 year olds and their teachers on Sundays. All of this just for me.

I think miracles happen frequently. We just need to watch for them and then write them down so we don't forget them.

Back in my BYU days the President of the University was Jeffrey R. Holland. I know that God didn't place him there, at that time, JUST for me. It was probably a pretty good experience for him and his family and the entire student body, but I do think of him as my president, and now, as my General Authority.

One of my miracles happened at a devotional. I was engaged to Scott at the time. Well, not that day. It was one of the several distressing times when Scott had called off our engagement. I went to the devotional and God spoke to me. Not directly but almost, through Jeffrey R. Holland.
Okay, so it clearly didn't just impact me because that talk was published several places, including in this book, which I own.


Miracles. I could go on. But I won't. Maybe I'll post some more on another day.
My friend, Kazzy, does a musical monday post weekly. Maybe I'll call it Miraculous Mondays,  Miracles on Mondays, or something else. I'll think.

6 comments:

Robin said...

Love this. No one has been mocking you in primary. I did not know that song was hard to play (I don't play the piano). But I do know that every primary chorister I have ever seen try to teach it has had difficulty. I hope the simplified version makes it a little easier for the kids to figure out the end.

Thank you for sharing your miracles.

K and D Roylance said...

Amen!

Jessica Grosland said...

This is really funny (funny, coincidental, not funny strange) because I was just thinking about minor miracles today.

See, I've been having a really hard time with school. (Don't know if you noticed, I WAS being rather subtle about it.) And after putting myself through a lot of needless suffering out of pride and fear, I realized that my problem was that I was feeling so overwhelmed and useless and worthless that I had shut myself off from my Savior and my Heavenly Father.

So, for the first time in months, I decided to go to the devotional. It was really lousy weather and a long walk, so for a while I murmured under my breath that this might be a stupid idea. But I wanted to try to shift the balance in my life; I had WAY TOO MUCH of school, and not nearly enough of God. So I went to the Marriott Center.

And guess what the speaker's talk was focused around?

"To be learned is good IF they hearken unto the counsels of God."

He spent the entire time giving us strategies for having the Lord more prevalent in our lives as we strove to succeed in our studies. I took copious notes, and at the end of the talk, I looked up toward heaven and said quietly, "You're very good at this."

I know that people think that God won't do something that big just for them, that it's just to assist the masses, but I think they're wrong. God is so incredibly all-seeing and all-knowing, that it does not strike me as odd that He is able to compose a talk (or an event) in such a way that it answers the personal questions of EVERY SINGLE PARTICIPANT, whether they see/hear the answers or not.

That is the true miracle. Thank you for this reminder. I think I will go write my experience down.

Dona said...

Wow Jess! That was a fantastic comment. You could copy and paste it and use it for a blog post. D-amen to your amen. misssrobin, I know that no one was mocking me. Everyone in primary is so great. I hope I stay there behind the piano for many years. This version is going to be great.

Unknown said...

Love this. Thanks for sharing mom.

Katy said...

I think the miracle is that there are people like you who are willing to do what they can as best they can no matter all the reasons they may have for not doing it. Thanks for playing piano, Dona! You are wonderful!