Thursday, April 15, 2010

Names

Tonight Corban named Samantha's future children for her. He is thoughtful that way.

Here's how it happened.
It all started with Amanda cleaning her room, from TOP to bottomIn the process of cleaning she did a substantial amount of decluttering. A truly magnificent thing to behold. I am considering using her room for company instead of the front room. But I digress. In the throes of decluttering she came across things that she knew I would want so she brought those things down to my room. Mostly odds n' ends. Lots of books and other things like this friendly little mouse bookmark. Cute. Cuter before we actually had real mice inhabiting our basement but still cute. (I believe that Scott and the little boys have successfully rid our living quarters of rodents. Thank goodness.) Again, I digress.


 This cute little pair of baby shoes are a particularly important item that ended up in my room today. These were Amanda's. She had crooked feet when she was born. They were put into casts when she was just a few months old. After the casts were removed she had to wear these shoes for a while. She knew I would want to keep them so she put them in my room. She went outside a little later and found them on the side porch. Hmmm, weird. So she brought them back in. I was studying in my room when Corban came down, saw the shoes, picked them up and started to leave with them.


Me: Where are you taking those shoes?

Corban: I am taking them to ________(the neighbor) for the little baby.

Me: I don't want you to give those away. I want to save them for when Samantha   has a baby.

A reasonably long discussion ensued about me and who my babies were. Followed by this dialogue.

Corban: We will name Samantha's baby for her.

Me: What will we name her baby?

Corban: First we will name one Sarah Phillips. Then we will name one John              Washington and then another one John Washington.

Me: Are you sure you don't mean George Washington?

Corban: No, I mean John Washington and John Washington.

I called Samantha so he could let her know. I bet it is a relief for her not to have to worry about what to name her children.


Corban is quite pleased with himself.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Great story. Just one question. Do you hire Amanda out?

Nicole said...

hahahahaha how cute! I bet Sam is relieved. I know I would want two children named John Washington...it's all the rage these days.

Dona said...

Amanda sort of desperately needs a job. She doesn't like to appear or sound too desperate but yes, basically, she is for hire. Pretty cheap probably.

I think we'll call one of them JW and the other one John except that will be confusing because of their Uncle John and Great Uncle John (lots of Johns in this future family) so maybe we'll call him Wash. That could come in handy if he has cleanliness issues. Hey Wash! It could be a noun and a verb simultaneously.