Friday, April 30, 2010

Graduation

I loved BYU. I knew from the time I was 7 years old that I wanted to grow up and go to BYU. At that point my motivation was the fact that my cousin, the person I adored most in the world, Carla, went to BYU. My family started going to BYU every summer from 1975 to around 1980 or 81. We would stay in Heritage Halls during the summer semester. We had great times and it further instilled in me the desire to attend and graduate from BYU. I never considered any other University. I mean, I knew there were other schools, my dad was a professor at a junior college in Arizona, I could have gone there for free, but my heart was set on BYU. Eventually I did attend and graduate from BYU. It was good. All three of my siblings graduated from there too. I still love BYU...Occassionally I go back to campus for various reasons, it feels like going home again. I thought my children would end up going there as well.

When child #1 was deciding which school to go to she was invited down to SUU. So we went down to tour the campus and talk to some of the professors. I came away from that totally convinced that SUU would be the perfect place for her to go. She did too. Matt Nickerson is the advisor over the Honors program at SUU. He is a brilliant educator and atleast 50% of the reason I was rooting for SUU.

Today she got a high 5 and a photo with him. That was worth every single trip to and from Cedar City, even the trip that included my first speeding ticket in 25 years. The motto of the SUU Honors Program is "Got Passion?" The world needs more people like Nickerson, people with passion for what they do and with a passion for passing it on to others. I'm glad to say that Samantha caught it. Look out, she's a carrier.

6 comments:

Jana said...

I used to think the same about BYU cause of my Momma & even Nana (who lost her engagement ring on the softball field there!). Congrats to your sweet daughter who has wonderfully grown up! I love SUU and carry equally fond memories there thanks in part to the festival. Goooo Sam! ;)

Robin said...

I feel the passion radiating through your post. Watch out world, here she comes!

Dona said...

Hey Robin, I had that exact line as my last sentence of my post but I switched it for the carrier sentence! Great minds and all that!

Kazzy said...

How great that she is graduated before getting married! Congrats to your whole family!

Anonymous said...

I loved being there on the campus with family for that very important graduation! I even got to see that hifive with Matt Nickerson and the photo take. A sample of the good interaction with good educators!

Yes, Samantha is a carrier and 'the passion' has been felt by all of us!

Graduation brought many congratulations and hugs and photos with family and fiance. Additionally (on a practical note) that fine fiance pitched in with the apartment cleanup that needed to be done as there was loading up and checking out before departure from SUU. So an additional 'congrats' for the teaming up on cleaning up. I liked seeing that side of it too in addition to the celebrating and ceremony of graduation !

I heard grad & future spouse talk a bit about their future /continuing educational plans so there is yet a very promising, expanding view of their future lives together. THus we are celebrating graduation at SUU and also what is BEYOND in a bright future for them !

This grandmother's view is one of gratitude for their educational efforts and opportunities.

SCSC

Anonymous said...

Maybe my #1 should talk to your #1.